Thursday, January 21, 2021

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo... except, change 'Romeo' with 'art'.

Hello to all the artheads and classmates out there. My name is Daniel Luna-Sánchez, I am currently an undergraduate studying Mechanical Engineering here at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. To pass the time this winter, I've gotten into skiing (a lifelong Alaskan just getting into skiing?? I know, I know) and have been frequenting all the double black diamond xc trails at Birch Hill with some friends that have also just gotten into skiing and are also in this class (Hi Kevin and Gerald!). Much to my friend's enjoyment, In addition to picking up skiing, I've also been enjoying baking, much to my friends' enjoyment. Board games, school, and a new puppy end up eating away at the rest of my time. 


My relationship with art is a funny one. My older sister got all of the artistic traits, and while I am creative in my own right (believe it or not but engineering requires a lot of creative problem solving), she is able to bring to life endless sceneries or depict accurately on a medium whatever she is thinking of. I tried to keep up, and my parents graciously hung up my artwork alongside hers even though her artwork graced the walls of the Anchorage Museum and mine only reached the hallways of my elementary school. While I may not be the best at creating art, growing up and being embraced by her creativity and artwork nurtured a love for art that continues till this day. 


Wanderer above the Sea of Fog by Caspar David Friedrich

My current favorite type of artwork is oil on canvas and I sometimes find myself perusing sites like these  and fantasizing that I may someday own some of these pieces. 


6 comments:

  1. Skiing is something I really miss. I haven't skied since 2013 because I am gone during the winter. I did some snow shoeing in 2015. I have had such fantastic times on ski trails in Fairbanks. I tore my ACL on the black diamond trail on Birch Hill when I was in my 20s. Did you know you can ski from the town of Ester, all the way to Fox. You have to cross Ballaine Rd. You can also ski on the Tanana to Nenana. Skijoring is my favorite. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all wander and wonder about what our value is in this life. Like that depicted in Friedrich's painting an individual, all alone, looks out into the fog and scenery. David Caspar Friedrich who is a 'German romanticist' of sorts titles the piece in German "Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer". It is quite beautiful both the piece itself but the way Friedrich titles it. It reminds me so much of the Alaskan landscape that we live in here and now. The experiences hiking, trekking, skiing, and traversing this landscape that leads us to be 'wandering' or in German to 'wandern'. You remind me to wander in life and continue to look into the endless future as Friedrich once painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onism: The awareness of how little of the world you will experience.

      Keep on wandering (and wondering) Kevin!

      Delete
  3. Hi Daniel! I am happy to hear that we share camaraderie in our relationship with art. Maybe to get back into the art scene like your sister, I suggest purchasing some supplies. I have heard that once the tools are in front of you, it is impossible to not start tinkering around. Who knows, maybe you could recreate Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog?

    ReplyDelete

Manga Hit the Mainstream

To continue with the trend of eastern artwork, this blog will be focused on the centuries old art style of manga. Much like anime, manga has...